poniedziałek, 27 kwietnia 2015

Extreme Rules - Thoughs After

As you might have noticed, I don't really write all that much here in recent times. It's not because I don't have anything to say, not at all, quite the opposite. The problem is that a lot of the things I do have to say, are pretty much things I have been saying for a long time now and I don't like to repeat myself. That is the advantage I have over "corporate" columnists, I don't have deadlines and expectations, I write only when I want to, whenever it is I want to.

This will not be a full review, but just few, brief thoughts I had after watching WWE Extreme Rules. Now unlike a huge part of the internet wrestling community, I didn't really minded what was going on there, but there is a couple things I want to address.

First thing is the "Kiss me arse" match. While the fight was quite decent, I just don't get the point. Since there was no chance of the stipulation to even be executed, and there is no way it could've been, at least in the "kayfabe" world, was there even a point for it being a thing? Think about it. We spent a lot of time building this match up, a lot of writing, TV time and wasted energy went into making it a thing. And what happened? WWE didn't deliver. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE stipulations like this, but if you ink out something, you better make it happen. Making a stipulation just for the sole fact of having any stipulation is just stupid.

The next thing I would like to say something about was the Cena - Rusev stipulation. I don't mind admitting that this used to be an angle I was a fan of, used to be. Since they went full on "USA vs. Russia" mode, everything became so bland and uninteresting. The weekly open challenges don't carry much weight, when you know that no matter what happens in between, at the PPV event the title is going to be fought over by the guys who are actually in the storyline. It got so ridiculous that at one point they almost actually said it is exactly like that. With John Cena coming out to the ring and talking about how Rusev wants his rematch at Extreme Rules. There was no suspense, there was no drama build up. It was just "go from A to Z and stop by B, C, D...". And now we will get another match, match that has no reason to happen anymore. Rusev lost his rematch, he has no loose ends to tie up, the story should be finished. But now, at Payback, we will get an "I Quit Match" with the two. And until then, what? More of the open challenges that no one has a shred of doubt how will be finished?

Moving on there is Roman Reigns. He still has his doubters, but I do believe that given !proper! treatment, he has great future to come. One thing I don't want to happen is another Big Show match. This angle has run dry for a while now and there is literally nothing WWE could do to freshen it up. At this point of his career Big Show has only his size that still keeps him employed. He grew older, he got slower, he isn't really impressive anymore and became basically a very one dimensional character. Roman needs a new opponent, someone from whom he can actually learn and with whom he can evolve. Daniel Bryan was a good example of someone like that, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Brock Lesnar might come back, but he will be going after Rollins and Reigns doesn't really have much to grab on to make him involved with them. There are only two ways for Roman now, either he gets involved with the mid card feuds or WWE invents some forced way to stick him into the title picture.

The rest of the event was ok, as I said, I didn't really mind it. If anyone expected a spectacle of brutality and bloody gore, they are morons. If someone wanted to see an event where some of the lesser used stipulations are being used, I guess they got exactly that. And for the rest of viewers, well, there are always other options to explore.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz